Friday, May 28, 2010

Pasture Intruder



Hello Camera Lady
I sometimes wonder why I'm forever carrying my camera around with me, especially when it's the very heavy one with the 100 - 400 telephoto lens on it, but this morning was a good example of why I do it!   Here's what happened........

The horses have been in their stalls for the past couple of days, due to our very unusual, winter-like weather (it's been raining like crazy, and cold - will it never end??!!!  I mean, really, it's almost JUNE!!!), but this morning was finally clear and sunny.  That meant that our equine friends (who have had a bad case of cabin fever) could finally go back out to their pastures.  I put the camera around my neck, and grabbed a lead rope in each hand.  As I got closer to Jozsef and Calvin's pasture, there, at 9:30 in the morning, was the above deer grazing contentedly in their home.   The horses didn't seem to mind the deer, and the deer didn't seem to be bothered by us, either.

   

I walked the boys into the pasture, undid the halters, and waited to see what would happen.  At first, Joz and Calvin seemed more interested in grazing, as our deer watched on.............




then - YEOW!!  "Where did that thing come from?!?"

 



The boys soon composed themselves, and, like cats, their curiosity got the better of them........





.......although, Calvin needed to  hide behind Joz, but we won't make fun of him for that.............



They decided to let their new friend Mr or Mrs Deer go on his or her way......



Bye bye!



In case you're wondering about Jozsef's wardrobe, after 17 years of never even being bothered by flies, last year he developed an allergy to them, so he has to wear clothes that all the other kids laugh at.  He refuses to keep a fly mask on, though,  so before I put him out in pasture, I have to daub him with SWAT (isn't hot pink and black the rage now??)  He's a manly man - after all he was a stallion for 13 years, and had 60+ babies - so he thinks all this stuff is for the birds..........



....please don't laugh at him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter